Steiner Sports Press Release
On the 66th Anniversary of "Joltin' Joe's" 56-game hitting streak in 1941, Steiner Sports Marketing has announced the unprecedented acquisition of the hand-written diaries of New York Yankees icon Joe DiMaggio. at a press conference at Gallagher's Steak House in New York City. Steiner CEO Brandon Steiner and President Jared Weiss were joined by legendary Yankees Hall of Famer Whitey Ford at the announcement.
The diaries - dated from 1982 through 1993 - total over 2,000 pages in 29 volumes, and were all authentically penned by DiMaggio during that 11-year period.
The DiMaggio diaries will be available for purchase by logging onto the Marketplace at Steiner Sports (www.steinersports.com). For more information call Steiner Sports at 914-307-1000.
The diaries detail a myriad of memories from the "Yankee Clipper" including:
- A visit with President Ronald Reagan at the White House at Gorbachev dinner celebrating signing treaty. Sat with Maureen Reagan, Mrs. Schultz, Casper Weinberger, Senator Dole, and George Wills.
- A meeting with New York City Mayor Ed Koch.
- Missing the final game of the 1986 World Series to receive Ellis Island Medal of Honor.
- Sitting in George Steinbrenner's box and talking baseball with the Yankees owner.
- Reaction to Commissioner's press conference on Pete Rose
- The pressures of the 56 game hitting streak: "If I thought this would be taking place (all the pr) due to the streak, I would have stopped the hitting streak at 40."
- Watching the gulf crisis unfold on television.
- Sitting in an airport lounge getting "high on diet cokes."