Show me someone who has lived a great life and I will show you someone who has great relationships. I think everyone would agree that communication is the key to a great relationship.
Communication is pretty important in all relationships, and with that, I have a challenge for you:
Write out a list of the top-10 most important relationships in your life.
Then, answer the following questions:
- What is the best way to communicate to each person on your list? (Phone, text, letter, e-mail, lunch,etc.)
- When is the best time of day to communicate with each person?
- When was the last time you gave them something personal? A hand-written letter note, a friendly voice mail, sent a nice card, etc.
- When was last time (yes last time--meaning how long ago) that you called each person and talked with them without having an agenda? When was the last time you called just to say hello and catch up instead of asking them for something?
The most important relationships in your life are the ones that you put work into on a consistent basis.
Remember two things:
- Know what's most important for the people who matter most to you
- It’s not what you know or who you know, but what you know about who!