People often get confused about the different between leading and managing. They think that the two are one in the same. That’s not the case. There is a clear distinction between the two.
I think it is important to learn how to manage and even more important to grow beyond that into a leader.
What is managing?
- Managing is maintaining.
- Many times its waiting until the end of the month to see what happened. Managing can mean being afraid of confrontation, “and if its not broke, don’t break it.”
- Managing is making sure that everything is okay, nice and smooth.
What is leadership?
- Leadership takes managing a step further.
- Leadership is, “If it isn’t broke, break it.”
- It’s looking ahead.
- It’s not being afraid to take people in a direction even though they don’t agree with it because you know its for the betterment of the group.
- Leadership is helping other people plan their tomorrow today.
- Leadership is being a little bit of a risk taker.
- Having the power to will things to be rather than waiting for things to be.
- Leadership is how you act when no one is looking. It’s also understanding that what you say isn’t as important as what people hear.
- Leadership is thinking about other people and their interests before you think of your own.